It is good preparation for the world outside schools and universities.
这对走出学校进入社会是一个良好的准备。
We should learn the value of money and learn how many hours’ work has to be done before we can buy something.
我们应该认识到钱的价值,知道要干多少小时的活,我们才能买某件物品。
There is another good reason for taking a part-time job.
干兼职工作还有一条充分的理由。
It is good to learn to work with others in a team.
学会在一个集体里与其他人一道工作是有益的。
There are many things to be learnt when you start working.
开始工作时,你有许多东西要学。
You have to be able to check instructions.
你必须会查对说明。你必须会筹划工作。
You have to be able to plan your work so that all your jobs will be finished in time.
以便你的工作能及时完成。
You have to learn when to ask for help and when to ask for information.
你得学会什么时候请求帮助,什么时候打听信息。
You will find that people will help you if you are ready to help them.
你会发现,如果你乐于帮助别人,别人也会帮助你。
Another good reason for taking a part-time job is that employers usually prefer to hire someone who has already had some work experience. They value someone who leads an active life and is anxious to learn. For example, a newspaper might employ you if you
干兼职工作的另一条充分的理由就是,雇主们通常愿意录用已有一些工作经验的人。他们很看重生活积极、渴望学习的人。例如,如果你在大学或中学就读时曾为某学生杂志工作过,那么报社就可能录用你。一般来说,如果你已干过一些兼职工作,找到适合工作的机会就会大些。
I’ve got a problem and as I don’t know what to do I thought I’d write to you and ask for your advice.
我有一个问题,因为我不知道该怎么办。我想我最好写信给你,征求你的意见。
I’ve been working at a meat factory for about two months now.
大约两个月来,我一直在一家肉厂干活。
It’s a part-time job, so I only work evenings.
这是份兼职,因此我只是晚间上班。
I’ve recently noticed that one of my work-mates is stealing.
我最近注意到,我的一个工友在行窃。
From time to time, I notice that he puts a piece of meat down his trousers just before he leaves the factory.
我经常看到,他在快要离厂前把一块肉藏在裤子里。
Now the manager has found that things are missing.
现在,经理已发现有东西丢失。
He says that all this happened after I started work.
他说,这一切都是在我开始工作后才发生的。
What should I do? Maybe I should have told that workmate I knew what he was doing.
我该怎么办?也许我早该对那个工人说我知道他的行为。
Or possibly I should have gone to the manager and told him who was stealing meat.
或者我早该去找经理,告诉他谁在偷肉。
I think I’m in a difficult position.
我想我现在的处境困难。
Please tell me how I can solve this problem.
请告诉我怎样才能解决这个问题。
I’d like to hear your advice.
我想听听你的意见。
Best wishes,
祝好!
John
约翰
Thanks for your letter.
谢谢你给我来信。
I agree that it is a difficult situation.
我同意,这种情况很难办。
I’m afraid it is quite common that people steal things from their workplace.
恐怕人们在工作场所偷东西是相当普遍的。
Besides, this man is a clever thief.
另外,此人是个聪明的小偷。
He waited until someone new joined the company and then began to steal.
他等待有人刚加入公司后才开始偷窃。
I think there is a possible problem if you tell the manager about the thief.
我想,如果你向经理告发这个窃贼,可能存在这样一个问题。
The other people in the workforce may not trust you in future.
在一起干活的其他人可能今后不会相信你了。
They will think that you are the eyes and ears of the manager.
他们会认为,你是经理的耳目。
There is no need to say anything to the other worker.
你没有必要跟那个工友说什么。
It’s his problem, not yours. Try not to worry.
这是他的问题,而不是你的。尽量不去操心。
After all, you have nothing to lose if you are honest and a good worker.
如果你品质诚实,干活好,毕竟你没有什么东西可失去的。
But I advise you to check your bag every evening before going home.
但是,我劝你每晚回家前检查下自己的包。
It is quite possible that the thief might put some meat in you bag.
这个窃贼很可能把肉放到你的袋子里。
Hoping you will be caught and called a thief.
希望你被抓住,被人叫做小偷。
Best regards,
祝好!
Marty
马蒂
Fred Pearson was walking through the university town of Oxford one morning in 1961.
1961年的某个早上,弗雷德·皮尔逊正步行通过牛津大学城。
He was on his way to a lecture, when a tourist stopped him and asked him for directions.
他走在去听课的路上,此时一位游客拦住他问路。
As Fred was going in the same direction, he walked along with the tourist.
因为游客与弗雷德走的是同一个方向,他便与游客一道同行。
They got on so well that Fred decided not to go to the lecture but to show the tourist around the university instead.
他们相处得很融洽,于是弗雷德决定不去听课,而带领这位游客到这所大学各处参观。
They spent a full and very enjoyable morning together, and Fred discovered that he had a gift for making a visit interesting and lively.
他们一起度过了一个充实而又非常愉快的早上,弗雷德发现自己具有导游的才能,能使参观活动变得趣味盎然。
At lunchtime, the tourist thanked him and gave him ten pounds, which was a lot of money in those days.
午餐时,这位游客向他表示感谢,并给了他10英镑。这在当时可算是一大笔钱了。
Fred realized that he had discovered an interesting and enjoyable way of making money.
弗雷德认识到,他已找到了一种既有趣又愉快的挣钱方法。
In the evenings he studied hard for his exams, and most mornings he took tourists around Oxford.
他晚间努力学习,以应付考试,而大多数早上,他则带领游客在牛津大学参观。
He passed his exams, and even better, when he left university he had earned enough money to start his own business, offering guide services to tourists.
他考试过关了,更惬意的是,他大学毕业时,所赚的钱足够他开始经营自己的行业--为游客提供导游服务。
This is one example of a part-time job leading to greater things.
这是兼职工作通向更大事业的一个例子。
It is a good idea to start a part-time job so long as it does not affect your studies.
只要不影响学习,干兼职工作的想法是不错的。
For one thing, when you earn money, you will not have to keep on asking your parents for money.
首先,当自己挣了钱,你就用不着老向父母要钱了。
You can buy whatever you need if you have enough money.
钱多了,你需要什么就可以买什么。
上一篇:
下一篇: