Each time you fail, start all over again.
每次你失败,再从头开始。
You will grow stronger each time, until you can do and finish what you started out to do.
每次你会变得更坚强,直至你完成你着手进行的事情。
Who could count the times Annie tried, failed, and then succeeded?
谁能数得清安妮尝试、失败直至最后成功的次数?
What a great teacher!
多么高尚的老师!
What a great person!
多么了不起的人!
And because I was deaf, I could not learn to speak.
因为我耳聋,我不能学说话。
Struggling in a world of silence and darkness, I must have appeared to them to be simple.
在寂静无声、漆黑一片世界里挣扎,在他们看来,我一定是头脑简单了。
But this was before Annie Sullivan came to stay.
但是,这都是安妮·莎利文来住下之前的事了。
She was a lively young woman with patience and imagination.
她是一个活泼的女子,具有耐心和想象力。
A born teacher, she thought she could turn a deaf-blind person into a useful human being.
她是一个天的教师,认为自己可以把一个聋盲人变成一个有用的人。
It was the first joy I had known for years.
我豁然开朗了。这是我多年来第一次感到高兴的事了。
I reached out to Annie’s hand.
我把手伸向安妮的手。
She understood I was begging for new words, for the names of the things I touched.
她懂得我是在求她教新单词--我所触摸的东西的名称。
The words so full of meaning – flew from her hand to mine.
这些词--意思如此丰富--从她的手流到了我的手。
Those first words were to change my world.
我最先学会的这些单词改变了我的生活天地。
One of the first things Annie did was to teach me how to play.
安妮首先要做的事情之一,就是教我如何耍。
I had not laughed since I became deaf.
我耳聋后就从来没有笑过。
One day she came into my room laughing happily.
有一天,她开心地笑着来到我的房间。
Putting my hand on her face, she spelled l-a-u-g-h .
她将我的手在她的面部,就拼写l-a-u-g-h。
Then she touched me lightly on my arm and made me burst into laughter.
然后她轻轻地触摸我的手臂,使我哈哈大笑。
Next Annie took me by the hand and taught me how to jump.
接着,她又拉着我的手,教我如何跳。
She then immediately spelled the word j-u-m-p for me.
紧接着,她又为我拼写j-u-m-p这个单词。
In a few days I was learning and enjoying it like any child.
几天之后,我像一个孩子那样学习起来--而且学得很开心。
Through my hands and fingers, I heard the sounds that one hears on a farm, the noises made by cows, horses, chickens and pigs.
通过手和手指,我听到了人们通常在农场所听到的声音--即牛、马、鸡、猪等叫出的声音。
She also brought me into touch with everything that could be felt— soil, wood, silk. As I look back upon those years, I am struck by Annie’s wisdom.
她还使我接触到一切可以触摸到的东西--土壤、木头、丝绸等。
Perhaps she understood me because she herself had always had very weak eyes.
当我回顾那些岁月时,我深深地为安妮的智慧所打动。她理解我,也许是因为她本向来视力就很弱。
Annie was born in a poor family, on April 4th, 1866.
1866年4月4日,安妮出生在一个贫苦家庭中。
Her mother died when she was eight years old.
她8岁时母亲就去世了。
Two years later, her father disappeared, never to be heard from again.
两年后,她父亲失踪了,从此再无音讯。
Annie and her brother were sent to a children’s home. There the boy died.
安妮和她的弟弟被送往一家孤儿院。弟弟在孤儿院死了。
Four years later, she left the children’s home and entered an institution for the blind, where she learnt braille.
4年之后,她离开孤儿院,进入一盲人学校,学习布莱叶盲文。
This is a kind of printing that blind people can read by touching groups of raised points that are printed on paper.
布莱叶盲文是一种印刷字体,盲人通过摸印在纸上起的点点来读书。
Later, an operation helped her to get back part of her sight, but she remained at the institution for six years more.
后来,一次手术帮助她恢复了部分视力。但是,她在这所学校又呆了6年。
There she studied the teaching of deafblind children.
在那里,她学习聋盲儿童的教学工作。
One day a letter from my father arrived at the school, asking for a teacher for me.
有一天,我父亲的信寄到学校,请求为我聘用一名教师。
Annie considered this was just the kind of demanding job she wanted.
安妮认为,这正是她想要的难度很大的工作。
That is how Annie came to be with us.
这就是安妮和我们在一起的缘由。
Annie was among the first to realize that blind people never know their hidden strength until they are treated like normal human beings.
盲人只有受到同正常人一样的待遇时,才能知道自己蕴藏的力量,安妮就是其中一位最先有此种认识的人。
She never pitied me; she never praised me unless what I did was as good as that of the best of a normal person.
她从不怜悯我,她也从不表扬我,除非我所做的事像正常人干的那样出色。
And she encouraged me when I made up my mind to go to college.
我下决心上大学时,她则给我予鼓励。
During my years in school, Annie sat beside me in every class.
在我求学期间,安妮每堂课都坐在我身旁。
She spelled out for me the things that the teachers taught.
教师所教的东西,她都为我拼写出来。
And, because most books were not printed in Braille.
因为大多数的书本没用布莱叶文印刷。
She herself read them to me by spelling into my hand what was written in the book.
她亲自通过在我手上拼写书中的内容,把课本对我读出来。
It took great imagination as well as patience for Annie to teach me to speak.
教我说话需要极大的想像力和耐心。
Putting both my hands on her face when she spoke, she let me feel all the movements of her lips and throat.
她说话时,把我的两只手放在她的脸上,让我抚摸她嘴唇和喉头的活动情况。
Together we repeated and repeated words and sentences.
我们一道反反复复地说词语和句子。
My speech was ill-form and not pleasant to hear.
我的言语变调走样,很不好听。
But I was delighted to be able to say words that my family and a few friends could understand.
是,我却感到欣喜,能够说出我家里人和一些朋友可以理解的词语。
To Annie I owe thanks for this priceless gift of speech.
可安妮给我这份无价的说话礼物,我对她感激不尽。
It has helped me to serve others.
这份礼物帮助我为他人服务。
Before Annie Sullivan came to our house, one or two people had told my mother that I was simple-minded.
安妮·莎利文来到我们家之前,已有一两个人告诉我母亲,说我头脑简单。
I can understand why.
其原因我能理解。
Here was a seven-year-old girl who at the age of 19 months had become deaf and blind.
一个7岁的女孩,出生19个月后就得了聋盲症。
My teacher’s gifted instruction lived on after her death.
我的教师逝世后,她宝贵的教诲仍继续长存。
She had believed in me.
她相信我。
I must always keep on trying to do my best.
我必须始终继续作出最大的努力。
No matter what happens, she often said, keep on beginning.
无论发生什么事,"她常说,不断从头开始。
上一篇:
下一篇: