so you’re telling me that the situation here is bad for black people.
那么,你是说这里的情况对黑人来说是很糟了。
That’s right.
是的。
We’re not treated as equal citizens.
我们没有被当作平等公民对待。
We can’t go to the public parks or swimming pools.
我们不能上公园或是去游泳池。
It’s forbidden.
这是受禁止的。
What happened on the march then?
那么 ,在游行中发生了什么事?
I joined in the march and we were marching peacefully along and then the police came up.
我参加了游行,我们以和平的方式往前行进,这时警察突然来了。
They told us to go home but we went on.
他们要我们回家去,可我们继续行进。
They said that the march had been forbidden, but that wasn’t true.
他们说游行向来是被禁止的,但这不是事实。
They hit us with their sticks over and over again and put some of us in prison.
他们用棍棒一次又一次的打我们,并且把我们中的一些人抓进监狱。
I imagine that hurt a lot.
我可以想象那是很疼的。
Yes, my whole body hurts.
是的。我全身都在疼。
Why are you in here?
你为什么在这里呢?
I was on the march.
我参加了游行。
What march?
什么游行?
Haven’t you heard?
你没听说吗?
There was a big civil rights march through the centre of Birmingham yesterday.
昨天大规模的民权示威游行经过伯明翰市中心。
Why was that?
为什么呢?
I imagine you’re not very interested in politics.
我想你一定对政治不感兴趣。
I’m a stranger here. I’m from the west coast. Tell me more.
在这儿我是个陌生人。我来自西海岸。告诉我更多的情况吧。
It’s like this.
是这样的。
We black people of Birmingham want equal rights.
我们伯明翰的黑人要求享有平等权利。
We want the same rights as the white people in the city.
我们要求享有与本市白人平等的权利。
For years we’ve been demanding better housing and jobs.
多年来我们一直要求改善住房和工作条件。
上一篇:
下一篇: