Where are you from?
你是哪里人?
I’m from Canada.
我是加拿大人。
Really? I thought you were from the States.
真的吗?我还以为你是美国人呢。
That’s not surprising.
那不奇怪。
A lot of people can’t tell the difference between an American accent and a Canadian accent.
许多人分不出美国口音和加拿大口音的差别。
Are there many differences?
它们有很大差别吗?
No, just a few. For example, most Canadians say news [nju:z], but Americans say [nu:z]. We mainly use American words, but we use quite a lot of British words too. We fill our cars with gas, which is American, but we turn on the tap which is British En
没有,只有少数差别。例如,大多数加拿大人把news读成(nju:z),但美国人却读成(nu:z)。我们主要使用美国英语词,但是也使用很多英国英语词汇。我们给汽车加“gas(汽油)”,这是美国英语,但是我们说开“tap(龙头)”,这是英国英语。
Oh! And do you use American or British spelling?
噢!那你们是采用美国拼法还是英国拼法呢?
Both! American spellings are used more and more in Canada now.
两种都用!现在在加拿大人们越来越多的采用美国拼法了。
Generally speaking, newspapers follow the American way, but conference reports and schoolbooks use British spelling.
一般地说,报纸采用美国英语的拼法,但是会议报告和教科书都采用英国英语的拼法。
That sounds strange.
这听起来很奇怪。
You mean it looks strange!
你的意思是这看起来很奇怪吧!
I’ll tell you something that does sound strange.
我还可以告诉你一件听起来确实奇怪的事情。
Many people think that Canadians all over the country speak the same way.
许多人认为加拿大全国人的说法都相同。
But if you go to the eastern provinces, or go to some country areas.
但是如果你到东部的一些省或到乡下的一些地区去的话。
You’ll notice that the people there speak quite differently from the rest of Canada.
你就会注意到那里的人的说法和加拿大其他地方的人的说法不一样。
上一篇:
下一篇: