You have signed your name ‘Clare Flower’ but that is not your name.
你把自己的名签成'克莱尔·弗劳尔',但那不是你的名字。"
Yes, it is, she said. And who are you, anyway?
不,是我的名字啊,她说,而你到底是谁呀?"
I’m allowed to change the colour of my hair, she said angrily.
我改变自己的发色是允许的,"她愤怒地说。
Yes, but you’re not allowed to sign your name Clare Flower if your name is Hope Darwin.
对,但是,如果你叫霍普·达尔文而却把自己的名字签成克莱尔·弗劳尔则不是允许的。
He turned to the police officer.
他转过身对警官说
I watched Hope secretly for a week, and I even paid a visit to her at work.
我秘密观察了霍普一个星期,甚至还在她工作时拜访了她。
I had several photographs of Clare Flower, and I picked out one interesting photograph of Clare aged twelve in an art class at school.
我有几张克莱尔·弗劳尔的照片,挑出了一张克莱尔12岁时在学校假期艺术课上拍的很有趣的照片。"
Don’t tell me that all this is because of a photograph taken when I was twelve.
别跟我说,所有这一切都是因为我12岁时拍的一张照片。
A lot of things can change over twenty-one years.
21年了,许多东西都可能改变的。
Yes, but one thing is most unlikely to change.
对,但有一件事是最不可能改变的。
Just now we all watched you sign to show that you had received the cheque.
刚才我们大家都观察到了你为表明已收到那张支票而签名。
You are left-handed, but in this photograph you will see that the young girl is painting with her right hand.
你是左撇子,而在这张照片里,你会发现这个小姑娘正在用右手绘画。
People change, but they don’t suddenly chnge from being right-handed to being left-handed.
人会变,但他们不会从惯用右手而突然转变成左撇子的。
When the police officer had taken away Hope Darwin, Tom Goode turned to the lawyer.
当警官带走霍普·达尔文以后,汤姆·古德转向律师说。
Now we know that Clare Flower is dead, does that mean the money will now come to me?
现在我们明白克莱尔·弗劳尔死了,那是不是意味着这笔钱现在将归我啦?
After all, I am the only one of my aunt’s relations still alive.
不管怎么说,我是我伯母的亲戚中唯一一个还活着的人。
He was smiling hopefully.
他满怀希望地微笑着。
The lawyer was brief and to the point.
律师简明扼要地说道。
No. Your aunt did foresee that Ms flower might die before her.
不。你伯母的确预见到弗劳尔小姐很可能在她之前去世。
She instructed in her will that if that were to happen, all the money should go to an organization for helping the blind called Helping Hand.
于是她在遗嘱中指示如果此事发生,这笔钱应该全部捐献给一个名叫'援助之手'的盲人救济组织。
So, to answer your question, you get nothing.
因此,要回答你的问题,就是你什么也得不到。"
Good morning, Mr Coal. I hear that you are one of the best detectives in the capital.
早上好,科尔先生。我听说你是首都最优秀的侦探之一。
Well, I have a problem.
唉,我有一个难题。
So how can I help you ? asked the detective.
那么我怎样才能帮你呢?侦探问。
My name’s Tom Goode, by the way.
我叫汤姆·古德,顺便告诉你。
My aunt, Mrs flower, died three weeks ago.
我的伯母弗劳尔夫人3周前去世。
Her husband had built up a large business during his lifetime, and when he died ten years ago in 1989 he left all his money to his wife.
她的丈夫一生中逐步建立起一家大商行,而当他10年前即于1985年去世后,他把全部财产留给了他的妻子。"
So your aunt was a wealthy woman?
那么你伯母就是一位富有的女人了?
That’s right.
对啦。
And she’s left about $4 million in her will to her husband’s daughter by his first marriage.
而她在其遗嘱中将大约400万美元留给她丈夫第一次结婚所生的女儿。
The young woman’s name is Clare Flower.
这位年轻女人名叫克莱尔·弗劳尔。
She was born in 1966.
她生于1963年。
She left home when she was eighteen and has lived in Los Angeles for the past fifteen years.
18岁时,她离开了家。过去的15年里她一直住在洛杉矶。
She didn’t visit her step-mother much, though I believe that they used to speak on the phone from time to time.
她不常看望她的继母,虽然,我相信她们过去时不进在电话里聊一聊。
None of the family apart from her father and my aunt have seen her since.
自从她离开家以后,家里人除了她父亲与我伯母外没有人见过她。
So what do you want me to do? asked the detective.
那么你想要我做什么呢?侦探问。
I want you to check out this Clare Flower and see that she has the right to get my aunt’s money, because something somewhere smells funny.
我要求你查清这个克莱尔·弗劳尔,且一定要弄清她是不是有权获得我伯母的钱,因为某些情况令人感到有点奇怪。"
Coal nodded. OK. I can do that. First, I’ll need some information about Clare. For a start, how old was she when her father married again?
科尔点点头。"好吧。这我可以办。首先,我需要有关克莱尔的资料。首先,当他父亲再婚时,她多大岁数了?"
He married my aunt in 1971, so Clare would have been five years old.
他1968年与我伯母结婚,那么克莱尔应该已经5岁了。"
I see. Maybe there are some things among your aunt’s papers, like Clare’ school reports, old photographs, and so on.
我明白了。或许,在你伯母的文件中可能有些诸如克莱尔的学校成绩报告单、旧的照片之类的东西吧。
Can you go through them and give me whatever you find?
你把它们仔细查阅一下并把凡是你能找到的东西给我好吗?
I’ll also need a list of all your and her relations’ addresses and telephone numbers.
我还需一张你与她的全部亲属的地址清单与电话号码。
I also need your permission to speak to the family lawyer about this matter.
我还需要你的许可,就关于这件事跟你们的家庭律师谈话。
Present at the meeting were Clare Flower, Tom Goode, the lawyer and the detective, who was introduced to everyone as the lawyer’s assistant.
出席会议的有克莱尔·弗劳尔、汤姆·古德、律师与被当作律师助理介绍给大家的侦探
There was another unknown man.
还有一个不认识的人。
When everyone had taken his/her place, the lawyer spoke as follows.
当大家都入座以后,律师作了如下的发言
Mrs Flower’s house has now been sold.
弗劳尔夫人的房子现已售出。
It only remains for me to pass all the money that she had to the right person.
对我来说,剩下的只是将她所有的钱交给合法的继承人。
Will Clare Flower please step forward?
克莱尔·弗劳尔请你走上前好吗?
The young woman stood up and stepped forward.
年轻的女人站起来走向前。
You name is Clare Flower?
你叫克莱尔·弗劳尔吗?
It is.
是的。
Mrs Flower directed that all the money that belonged to her should come to you.
弗劳尔夫人指示她所有的钱应当全部归你。
Here is a cheque for 4,725,466.
这是一张4,725,466美元的支票。
Please sign here to show that you have received the money.
请在这儿签字以表明你已收到这笔钱。"
Calare took the pen and added her signature, saying Good. That is all correct.
好了。很正确。"
No, it isn’t, said the detective suddenly.
不,不对,侦探突然说。
He turned to the young lady.
他转向那位年轻的女士。
上一篇:
下一篇: