So, although I still have large business interests,I always look for chances to make life easier for some of the children in this world.
因此,虽然我仍然拥有许多商业股份,但是我总是在寻找机会使世界上一些儿童的生活过得好一些。
I’ve written a cheque for you.
我给你开了一张支票。
This is to help you start your school.
这是帮助你开办学校用的。
Goodness, six zeros! What can I say?
天那!六个零!我能说些什么呢?
It’s my pleasure.
这是我乐意做的。
And you’ll have another supporter in me.
你还有另一个支持者,就是我。
When you have found a building in which to start your school.
你找到开办学校的楼房后
I’d like to come and cover the walls with some bright paintings.
我愿意给墙上画几幅色彩鲜艳的画。
Now let’s drink to the success of your school!
现在,咱们为你办学成功,干杯!
Yes, it is.
是的,我就是。
It’s Zheng Jie here. I’ve just got your message.
我是郑杰,我刚刚收到你的留言。
Good. Listen. I may be able to help you. Could you come and see me when you are next in London?
好的。听着,我也许能够帮助你。下次你来伦敦时,能不能来看看我?
I’m playing in London next Thursday.
下周四我会来伦敦演出。
Could I drop in at your house after the concert, or would that be too late?
我可不可以在音乐会开完后去你家拜访?那会不会太晚了?
No, that would be fine. I’ll tell you how to get here.
不晚,就这么定了。我告诉你到这儿来怎么走。
The following Thursday, Zheng Jie rings the bell of Mr Brain’s house.
下一周的星期四,郑杰按了布雷恩先生家的门铃。
The door is opened by his son, Gary.
开门的是他的儿子加里。
Is Mr Brain in?
布雷恩先生在家吗?
Yes, he’s on the phone. Is he expecting you?
在家,他在打电话。他是在等你吗?
Yes, that’s right.
是的。
Oh good. Come in. I’m his son.
好吧,请进。我是他的儿子。
I’ve just arrived myself so forgive me if I don’t seem to know what’s going on.
我自己也刚到家。所以,如果我不了解情况的话,那么请你原谅。
I think I know you.
我想我认识你。
Goodness! Zhen Jie! I can’t believe it. What are you doing here?
啊,天那!郑杰!我简直不能相信。你到这里来有什么事吗?
I’ve come to see your Dad!
我是来看你爸爸的。
What about?
找他有什么事吗?
I’ve no idea. He just asked me to come round for supper.
我也不知道,他只是叫我过来吃晚饭。
Do you remember the first time we met?
你还记得我们第一次见面的情况吗?
It was at Charlie’s wedding. You were playing the piano.
那是在查理的婚礼上,你在弹钢琴。
You two seem to know each other.
你们俩似乎认识。
Dad, this is Zheng Jie, who I knew in Paris.
爸爸,这是郑杰,我是在巴黎认识他的。
I haven’t seen him for five years.
我五年没有见到他了。
You remember my friend who helped me out?
你还记得曾经帮助我摆脱困境的那位朋友吗?
Don’t remind him. It was nothing.
不要向他提起这件事了。那是微不足道的。
I insist on telling him how great you were.
我一定要告诉他你是多么了不起。
Dad, when you sent me to Paris to see if I could really earn a living as a painter.
爸爸,你把我送去巴黎,想看看我是否真正能以绘画谋生。
I stayed at Zheng Jie’s flat for three months.
那时候我就住在郑杰的那套房间里,住了三个月。
The struggling musician and the struggling artist. What a pair!
艰苦奋斗的音乐家和艰苦奋斗的画家在一起。真是难兄难弟!
And you lent me some money too, which I never repaid you.
你还借给我一些钱,这笔钱我还没有还你呢。
When Gary told me that he wanted to be a painter, I refused to give him any money.
当加里告诉我他想要当画家的时候,我拒绝给他钱。
I told him that if painting was important for him, he would live on bread in order to succeed.
我告诉他说,如果绘画对他很重要的话,那么要取得成功,就得靠啃干面包生活了。
And I succeeded, Zheng Jie.
我还是成功了,郑杰。
I have an exhibition in London this coming month.
下个月我在伦敦要举办一次画展。
You must come to see it. And I owe you some money.
你一定要来看呀。我还欠你的钱呢。
I didn’t have a penny the last time I saw you.
上次我见到你时,我连一个铜板也没有。
But you still haven’t explained what you’re doing here.
啊,你还没有说你是来干什么的。
I invited him here. Zheng Jie has some interesting plans. But let’s talk more over supper.
我邀请他来的。郑杰有一些有趣的计划。不过,我们不是在吃晚饭的时候再谈吧。
Zheng Jie, I would like to support your music school.
郑杰,我愿意资助你办音乐学校。
I think I can trust you, especially after what my son has told me.
我想我能够信任你,特别是在我儿子把情况告诉我以后。
I haven’t told you that my family made a lot of money in the nineteenth century by making children work 16 hours a day in their factories.
我还没有告诉过你,我的家在19世纪的时候赚了一大笔钱,是强迫儿童在工厂里一天劳动16个小时赚来的。
We also want to teach all the children to perform.
我们还想教会所有的儿童演奏。
Unfortunately it will cost a lot of money.
遗憾的是,这要花很大一笔钱。
Have you tried to borrow money from a bank?
你是否试过向银行借钱呢?
Yes, but none of the banks I spoke to were interested.
试过,但是,我去找过的银行中没有一家感兴趣。
You see, the school will be expensive to run and we shall need a lot of good teachers.
你知道,办这所学校要花很多的钱,我们需要很多好教师。
I do not want to make it a school for rich children only.
我不想把它办成专供有钱人家的儿童来上学的学校。
Most of the parents will not be able to pay much money.
多数家长是付不起很多钱的。
That sounds very interesting. How long will it take you to collect enough money?
听起来倒是挺有趣的。你要花多长时间才能筹集到足够的资金呢?
If I continue to play a lot of concerts over the next five year.
如果在今后的五年内我连续举办一些音乐会。
I may be able to start a small school.
那么,我也许能够开办一个小型的学校。
But it’s going to be a very tiring five years for me.
不过对我来说,这将是非常累人的五年。
However, I am very determined.
然而,我已经下定决心了。
If I can find you any support, would you be interested?
如果我能给你找到资助,你会感兴趣吗?
Of course.
当然感兴趣。
I can’t promise anything.
我还不能作出任何承诺。
But if I give you a ring, then you will know what it’s about.
不过,如果我给你打电话,那时你就会知道我的诺言是什么了。
I hope we meet again.
我希望我们能够再见面。
Yes. Thanks for listening.
好啊。谢谢你来听音乐会。
A week later, Mr Brain rang Zheng Jie and spoke to a friend of his.
一周以后,布雷恩先生打电话给郑杰,接电话的是郑杰的一位朋友。
Hello. Can I speak to Zheng Jie, please?
喂,请找郑杰听电话。
I’m afraid he’s out. He won’t be back until tomorrow.
对不起,他外出去了,明天才回来。
Oh, I see.
啊,明白了。
Can I give him a message?
我可以给他捎个口信吗?
Yes, please.
好的。
My name is John Brain.
我叫约翰·布雷恩。
I met Zheng Jie after one of his concerts about a week ago.
大约一周前,我在郑杰的一场音乐会之后见过他。
Could you ask him to ring me, please? My number is 181 584 9662.
麻烦你请他给我打个电话来,我的号码是181 584 9662。
Ok. Can I just check I’ve got the number right? 181 584 9662.
好的。我核对一下号码,好吗?181 584 9662。
That’s it. Thank you for your help. Goodby.
对的。谢谢你的帮忙,再见。
Bye.
再见。
A day later.
一天以后
Were there any telephone messages for me while I was away?
我外出期间有我的电话吗?
Just this one. Here it is. John Brain rang.
就只这一个,是约翰·布雷恩打来的。这个留言条给你。
Did he say what it was about?
他讲了什么事吗?
No. He just asked if you could ring him back. Here’s the number.
没有,他只问你能不能给他回一个电话。这是他的电话号码。
Hello. Is that Mr Brain?
喂,是布雷恩先生吗?
Well, goodbye then. Have you enjoyed your two years in China?
那么再见了。你在中国两年过得愉快吗?
Yes, thank you. I’ve had a wonderful time.
是的,谢谢你。我过得愉快极了。
I wish you every success in the future.
祝你未来一切成功。
Thank you.
谢谢你。
I’d also like to congratulate you on your good work in these two years.
我还要祝贺你在这两年中的出色表现。
You’ve done very well and made lots of progress.
你功课学得很好,进步很大。
What have you enjoyed most?
你最喜欢什么呢?
I’ve enjoyed the sports and I’ve enjoyed learning Chinese.
我喜欢体育,还喜欢学汉语。
I’m afraid I’m still not very good at it, though.
不过,恐怕我的汉语还是不够好。
You’ve done very well. It’s a pity you missed the sports meeting last week.
你学得不错嘛。很可惜,你错过了上周的运动会。
Yes, It was a real pity!
可不是,太可惜了。
Never mind, I’m feeling better now.
不要紧,我现在感觉好多啦。
Excuse me, I must go.
请原谅,我得走啦。
Thank you for everything.
谢谢你做的一切。
Goodbye. Good luck!
再见。祝你好运!
Susan is saying goodbye to Xia Su.
苏珊在向夏素道别。
When are you leaving?
你什么时候离开?
I’m off on Sunday.
星期天动身。
I’d like to invite you to dinner before you go. What about Thursday?
我想在你走之前请你吃饭。周四怎么样?
I’m free on Thursday. I’d love to come.
我星期四有空。我很乐意来。
I wanted to ask Chen Wei too, but he’s away.
我也想请陈伟,但他外出了。
What a shame! Never mind, I’ll write to him.
真遗憾!不要紧,我会给他写信的。
Do you remember when the three of us went on a picnic?
我们三个人一起搞过野餐,你还记得吗?
And Chen Wei was sure he could see a snake in the grass. I remember.
陈伟还肯定他看到草里有一条蛇。我记得呢。
I’ve never laughed so much in all my life.
我这一生还从来没有笑得这样开心过呢。
Mr Brain has just heard Zheng Jie playing the piano in a concert.
布雷恩先生刚听了郑杰在音乐会上的钢琴演奏。
He has asked to be introduced to the pianist.
他要求会见这位钢琴家。
I’d like to congratulate you very much. That was a wonderful concert.
衷心祝贺你。这场音乐会真是太好了。
Thank you very much, sir.
多谢,先生。
I read about you in the newspaper and decided to come and hear you play.
我在报纸上看到了你的情况,于是决定来听你演奏。
I’ve travelled many miles and I’m very glad I made the effort.
我远道而来,但是我很高兴没有白跑。
You played beautifully.
你弹得太美了。
What are your next plans?
下一步你计划干些什么呢?
At present I’m giving a lot of concerts.
现在我还要开一些音乐会。
Fortunately people want to come and hear me play, but I am getting very tired of travelling.
幸运的是,人们都想来听我演奏,但是我对旅行感到厌倦了。
Why do you have to work so hard?
为什么你要这样卖力地工作呢?
I’m planning to start a school, so I’m trying to save as much money as possible.
我计划开办一所学校,因此我在设法尽可能地多攒钱。
What kind of school will it be?
要办什么样的学校?
It will be open to children with disabilities.
这所学校要对残疾儿童开放。
It will be a mixed school where not all the children are disabled.
它是一所混合式学校,学校里的儿童并不都是残疾人。
At the moment in my country there are very few such schools.
目前在我国这类学校太少了。
Hello, Mr Zhu. I’ve come to say goodbye. I’m leaving on Sunday.
你好,朱先生。我是来道别的。我星期天离校。
上一篇:
下一篇: